This is a break from our posts about markup, but if you’re going to do DITA, you should also be able to figure out what it’s costing your company. Forecasting under uncertainty is a fact of life for most of us.
Uncertainty about the benefits you will reap from DITA
- how many products will be documented
- frequency of updates
- percentage of reuse
- translations (if any)
Estimating DITA costs also involves uncertainty
- How long will it take your team to get up to speed?
- Will you need specializations?
- How much effort and money will be needed to get the outputs that you need from DITA?
- What will migration to DITA cost?
Using Markov Models and other techniques we have developed a proven approach to predicting DITA costs and estimating benefits from implementing a DITA solution when you face uncertainty. And, let’s face it, what tech docs team does not face uncertainty?